What to do if someone in your family has been detected COVID positive and has been advised home quarantine? This is one of the burning questions in this time of the pandemic which we will try to answer today.
First & foremost, if one of your family members has been advised home quarantine after his report came out positive, it’s your turn to provide ‘supportive care’ while safeguarding the health of you and your other family members. Keeping that in mind, here are 5 things that you should do in case you find yourself in such a situation.
- Isolate the person in a ‘Sick Room’: If available, isolate the infected person in your bedroom & inform him/her to stay inside at all times except to go to the bathroom. Make sure nobody is allowed to go inside, particularly children, senior citizens and pets.
- Assist in tracking symptoms: Help the infected person take their temperature several times a day to track any unusual rise in temperature which may necessitate hospitalization. Note down the readings in a separate book. Do this while maintaining a safe distance.
- Ensure adequate hydration: Make it a point to ensure the infected person is drinking substantial amounts of water & other nutritional liquids such as fruit juices and medicines.
- Maintain separate laundry for the infected person: Don’t mix the clothes of the infected person and other family members. Wash them separately. Keep two baskets in the sick room, one for the person to dump his used clothes, towels, bedsheets, etc. and the other one for providing him with fresh ones.
- Make use of technology to ease stress: Although it may seem a bit weird and unusual to do a video chat or voice call with a person present inside your home, it’s vitally important that you provide mental support and human contact to the person in these difficult times without compromising the safety of the other family members. Encourage the quarantined person to conduct video calls with friends, relatives and co-workers to ride over the difficult and unprecedented times.